Monday 20 May 2013

Artist Statement 2013

I understand art as a set of on-going questions that can be learnt and understood, but never answered definitively. I have found practices of sociology and semiotics are the best ways of understanding how to engage with the world on a creative level. Les Back suggests having, ‘ the humility and honesty to reflect on our own assumptions and prejudgments’. This, combined with a quote from Barthes, ‘to live the full contradiction of my time, which may well make sarcasm the condition of truth’, are good ideological tools and a pretty accurate basis for how I currently approach my art making. Aesthetically, I prefer to fall blindly into the future, grabbing hold of my immediate surroundings than to spend too much time looking backwards for familiarisation in the past.